Friday, December 5, 2008

The Gift of Giving



About a month ago I took Collette and my nephew Tyler to Target to pick out gifts for others for xmas. We originally were going to put these into shoeboxes and give them to a church to hand out to those who need it. Well, Tyler ended up getting strep throat that week so all of our effort went down the drain. Sharon then had a great idea to go to a hospital and let the kids hand out their gifts. I called a few places but kept running into the same problem...it is RSV season and our little germ factors would be too much of a risk for these kids. I eventually remembered about this really neat place that I had done clinicals at last semester. It is the Children's Center in Bethany. The kids live at this rehab center. They have school, PT, OT, Speech Pathology, etc available for these kids. Most of the kids have some form of Cerebral Palsy or mental retardation. We called and a wonderful woman named Heather was so excited for us to come visit. We met with her and she let the kids put the presents under the tree. Then she took us on a tour of the facility. Collette and Tyler were able to meet several kids on the tour as well as see classrooms, the gym, and their rooms.
I was so proud at how well our kids did. All of the kids that they met were in wheelchairs. Neither one of our kids were scared or acted weird about it. They said hi and told them their names, how old they were, etc. It was a great experience, not only for Collette and Tyler, but for Sharon and me as well. I am going to put a link to this place so that you can see how great it is. And if you ever want a great place to visit or take presents to, you can do that also.
God is so good! Merry X-Mas!

http://www.thechildrens-center.org/

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's awesome and such a great idea. I've never thought of anything like that.

We are going to KS in a couple weeks and I didn't think we would be able to see you guys but Dustin said we are getting a rental car and he plan for us to drive there for a day. :-) So I'll call you when I know more. Cant wait!

Dakota is SO BIG in that new picture up top!!! And he looks JUST LIKE TROY!!